Breaking the 4th Wall


Breaking the 4th Wall

 

**Breaking the 4th wall here** In Hoops Dynasty, there are certain areas of the country that get better graced with recruits. Texas, the east coast, and Florida are good examples of states where a ton of recruits are generated so the chances of having high caliber guys is much better.  How recruiting works is that you pay X amount of dollars to do things like scout a recruit, have an in-home visit with them, or fly them to campus.  That X goes up exponentially once a recruit is 100+ miles from campus, again at 300 miles, and the last time at 500+ miles.  So a team receives a huge boost in recruiting if they can target guys within 300 miles (or even better 100 miles).  The problem with Arizona State is that the actual state of Arizona usually produces one or two top caliber players each generation cycle.  Well University of Arizona has been the big dog in state for a long time, and isn’t changing anytime soon, so ASU is kind of stuck going outside of the 300 mile radius and trying to find guys that sort of fall through the cracks.  Well the thinking I have is if I take the recent National Tournament victory and try to high tail it to a job in the Big 12, Big 10, or SEC.  Baylor and Oklahoma St are open in the Big 12. Iowa, Michigan, and Purdue are open in the Big 10. Auburn, Vandy, and Mississippi are available in the SEC.  Historically the ACC (A+ prestige average) is by far the power conference with the Big 12 and Big 10 (Both B+ conferences) being in the tier right behind them and Pac10 and Big East (B rated conferences) following closely behind them. I have 0 interest in jumping to the ultra-competitive ACC (they have an opening at Miami which I’m not sure I’d qualify for anyway), so the next logical bet would be Big 12 or Big 10.  That Baylor job interests me a lot due to being in a pretty admirable position in Texas.   Being a Wisconsin guy myself, all the Big 10 jobs interest me since it’s the conference I root for in real life.  I’d say my priority list, IF I decide to make the jump out of ASU this off-season would be as follows…

 

  1. Baylor
  2. Michigan
  3. Iowa
  4. Oklahoma St
  5. Purdue
  6. Auburn/Vandy/Mississippi

 

The national tournament will play out over the next 4-5 days.  Following that there is a day for anyone without remaining seasons to purchase more without losing their teams, then the job hiring phase for coaches who want to change jobs.  After that these is a day or two to scout prospects (if you didn’t have any carry-over cash to scout from the previous season) and finally recruiting opens up.

 

My plan is to profile one recruit a day between now and the time job openings start. If I decide to jump ship I would then ramp up to 2+ profiles a day just to make sure we didn’t miss anyone in the new part of the country we’d be focusing on (Texas, Midwest, etc).

 

Have any suggestions? Tips? Want to see me make the leap or stay put at ASU? Don’t hesitate to comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment