Recruit Profile - Kermit McCalman


Recruit Profile


SG Kermit McCalman (#47 Overall | #11 SG)


**Ineligible**

5’10”

179 lbs

Grant HS in Van Nuys, CA (380 miles from campus)



Kermit has by far the coolest names of any of my recruiting targets this offseason and he is the only ineligible player that I have on my watch list this off-season.  (Quick note on ineligibles, if you are going to target or sign any, try to make sure they have a high work ethic as that generally tends to result in them making the grades and then having a steady improvement once they are eligible) When teams sign ineligible players it means that the player is on campus their “freshman” year but will see no improvement (as they won’t be allowed to practice) and have to make sure they meet a certain GPA in order to be eligible.  Anytime you see 5th year seniors, it’s a result of an ineligible having to make grades their first year and then playing their 4 years of eligibility after that. Kermit likely never sees his 5th year as he’ll bolt to the NBA before it comes to that.

As far as he and ASU go, I don’t know if he’ll be available to us seeing as he is outside of our 300 mile radius for immediate target prospects.  He would be a kid who is likely going to see the inside of an NBA locker room someday and I would be ecstatic to have him join the squad.  I think he’s a do-it-all player and one that would be a huge asset to have on board.  My hope is that since he is an ineligible that some of the big dogs may steer away and not want to take on a prospect who can’t contribute immediately and that leaves him sitting there for little old me to swoop in on.  I know that might be wishful thinking, but when trying to fill my 4th, and final, scholarship I think I’m allowed to swing for the fences a little bit and right now my eyes are on Ricky Pascoe or Kermit.

No comments:

Post a Comment